Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's In A Name Card?

There was a time when those possessing business cards were considered professionals. Not everyone in a company was given cards only those whose positions were considered important. The first time my boss decided to order business cards for me I truly felt that I had made it. I had a career not a job. I was someone with enough importance to carry business cards. 

In those days your business card contained the company logo, address, your name, title, work number and maybe a fax number. It wasn’t until years later that email addresses, websites and cell numbers were added. The quality of a card was also an indication of the success of the company. If the card had raised letters you knew this business was doing well. Those of us in the non-profit field were happy to just have white cards with black letters. Color printing was considered snazzy for npo’s back then.

When I became president of a chamber of commerce I added my cell number to the card. I remember the printer asking if I really wanted to share that information with everyone. My thought was yes I do! I want every member to know that they are important enough to me to have my cell number. Trust and faith is how you build relationships both personal and professional. I can honestly say that no one ever abused the privilege of having my cell.

So what exactly does all of this have to do with Hong Kong? Well everyone here has name or business cards. They are prominently displayed at businesses and handed out with regularity. There is also a correct way to exchange cards. Cards are handed to others with two hands and accepted with both. The card is then read and admired before being put away. No throwing it in your purse for future reference without purposefully perusing it first.

At first I was shocked that people who have no jobs would actually have name cards. But then it made sense and the importance in the ex-pat world was made clear. Ex-pats meet many people who are very helpful about exchanging information. By having their card you can contact them for future reference. There’s no searching for a pen and paper to write information down or trying to get it in your phone very quickly. Name cards are an efficient way to say here’s who I am.

After being in Hong Kong over six weeks I decided, and several people recommended, it was time (actually past time) to order my name cards. I asked a friend if she had placed her order. She replied, “No, I haven’t figured out who I am yet.” Her answer hit home. That is what was delaying me. We both had left jobs back in the states and weren’t quite sure of our identity here. We didn’t have careers so what would we put on our cards?

Enough I told her recently after a meeting. We’re going to order our cards today. Who we are right now may not be who we are next year, but so what? Cards can be recycled and new ones ordered if we become someone else. 

The two of us headed into Central. There is any alley next to the MTR station that has stalls for ordering business cards, shoe repair and buying phone cards. Central is the Central Business District so those are the items of importance in that area. We stopped at a stall which had been recommended. The owner was friendly, knowledgeable and spoke good English. All pluses! 

Now it was time to make the big decisions. I settled on a sturdy cream colored paper with black print. I wanted a simple font and had to choose by looking at other cards. No font names just examples. I included my address, HK mobile, US mobile and email. It’s nice to have your friends’ numbers when everyone is back in the states for the summer. I also asked for the information to be printed in Chinese on the back of the card. That way friends can hand the card to the taxi driver when they come to my flat. 

But something was missing. How can the card say who I am right now? A chop. Yes, my very own Chinese chop. A chop is a Chinese character stamp used in place of a signature. It is square or round and traditionally used with red ink. This stall also sold chops. There happened to be several displayed on the counter. Lo and behold one example was the chop of Diane. How odd indeed since most Chinese call me Diana. Diane seems to be rather difficult to pronounce, but Diana comes out fine. Well of course I added the chop of Diane to my name cards and ordered a stone chop for personal use. 

I picked the cards up yesterday. They were lovely. Beautiful cream paper, black print and a red chop in the upper left hand corner. Now I can start handing them out. I’m so happy that I have finally figured out who am I. At least for a few months anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment