Monday, March 7, 2011

Building a Harmonious Enviroment

We recently received a notice from the Property Services Office of our apartment building. They often send notices advising us of building repairs or events. I found this particular notice to be humorous, endearing and rather thought provoking. If apartment dwellers in the US could see things in this manner I believe everyone might be much happier.


The notice was entitled, “Help to Build a Harmonious and Pleasant Environment”. It began, In order to maintain a quite and harmonious living environment, residents are kindly advised to be considerate and not to create excessive noise. The following are the useful tips to reduce the excessive noise: 

  • Guiding your young children not to run at home 

(Notice it does not say spank, scold or threaten your children within an inch of their lives, but rather guide them? Now I don’t want to get into child rearing techniques or theories because that is so very personal and controversial, but I love the term guide. My boys are all adults and I believe I’m still guiding them.)

  • Trying not to wear high heels at home as the loud noise those heels make when they hit the hard floor 

(Those are not typos. I am copying word for word. But who actually wears heels at home? Most Chinese take their shoes off at the door. I’ve always had my family do this because it really does keep the house clean. And let’s face it who knows what’s on the bottom of your shoes after walking around Hong Kong.)

  • Placing musical instrument or Hi-Fi system on top of carpet or rug when necessary

(When was the last time you used the word Hi-Fi? Do people under the age of forty even know what a Hi-Fi is? Everyone here has ipods so I’ve yet to hear music playing outside of a restaurant. But I do agree. Let’s keep our stereos down. I don't want to be subjected to your Asian fusion and I'm sure you don't want to hear my Tim McGraw or Aretha Franklin.)

  • Try to control your dog from barking at night time or seek help from professional services

(I’m not sure whether the owner or the dog should receive professional services. Most likely both. Though I must admit if I was a dog cooped up in an apartment all day long and only able to go for walks and do my business on concrete sidewalks I’d be barking too. Dogs are NOT allowed in parks in Hong Kong for sanitary reasons and must be leashed at all times. As much as I miss my dog Mona this is not a place for a four legged friend.)


There were a few more suggestions, but I think you get the gist of it. The notice ended with, “You are cordially invited to jointly build a harmonious and pleasant living environment in Regence Royale.” When was the last time you jointly built something harmonious with anyone? Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment