Saturday, March 19, 2011

Stop And Smell The Primroses!

When I was growing up my aunt owned a floral shop. In those days people not only sent flowers for special occasions such as Valentine's Day, Mothers’ Day and Easter, but beautiful floral centerpieces would adorn dinner tables for holidays and parties. Florists also took the place of wedding planners organizing not only the bouquets, boutonnieres and corsages, but the candles, runners and invitations. I worked at my aunt’s shop almost every weekend while I was in high school. It was wonderful to be among the flowers though the brides and their mothers are a different story entirely. I do believe that is where my love affair with all things green began.

So it is no wonder that I went to the the Hong Kong Flower Show not once, but twice this past week. The Hong Kong Flower Show is a nine day event organized by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department. It takes place in Victoria Park in Causeway Bay. This year’s theme was “Symphony of Spring Flowers” and the theme flower was “primula” or primrose. Primula plants are perennials that come in bold shades of red, yellow, pink, violet and orange. They are one of the first spring blooming flowers.

The cost of admission to the flower show was HK $14 (about US $1.77). What an amazing deal. Where can you see such beauty for that price? The show covers acres and consists of floral arrangements, landscape displays, plant exhibitions and merchants selling food and plants.

I began with the floral arrangements. Everything from large-scale arrangements that were several feet in length to pots filled with flowers. Some followed the music theme and others focused on color or flower species. 

Next, I couldn't help but be drawn to the landscape displays. Think Rose Bowl Parade floats, but not on wheels. Large displays of larger than life characters made of flowers and plants. One rather humorous one had an octopus playing the drums, a pig playing an electric organ and a smiling cat playing the guitar. There was also a huge rabbit with headphones on.  It was funny and spectacular at the same time.

Another display had numerous pandas, some eating bamboo, and all looking adorable. There were two very regal elephants that must have been twenty feet high. A beautiful temple with two dancing rabbits was perfect for this Year of the Rabbit. The color, the humor, the texture it was all gorgeous and amazing. How they keep everything alive for nine days is beyond me.

Several consulates and businesses had displays. South Africa used giraffes in their exhibit. Ocean Park had dolphins, seals and coral. Even the highway department made an overpass covered in plants and a darling car covered in flowers.

Plant Societies proudly displayed orchids, African violets, cacti, bonsai and more. The orchids were outstanding and seemed to be the most popular purchase. I was very tempted to buy one, but the thought of carrying it on the MTR and then to our flat seemed like a huge endeavor that I wasn’t willing to pursue.

Vegetables and fruit were not forgotten. My favorite was a large rabbit made of oranges, lemons and tangerines pushing a wheel barrow of vegetables. Walkways lined with different varieties of lettuce not only looked stunning, but also delicious. 

After much time photographing and wandering I sat down with some green tea and a snack. I have no idea what it’s called, but it’s basically a small, brown bag of warm, golden balls of dough that taste like Belgian waffles. You can buy it at the street markets. It’s sort of Chinese carnival food. Probably not very healthy, but oh so good.

While I was enjoying my comfort food a young Chinese mother and her adorable little son sat down next to me. I was watching their interaction and we were smiling at each other then all of a sudden I was crying. My eyes filled and overflowed before I could do anything. Their tender interaction reminded me of my sons and the many times we had gone to the botanical garden. I suddenly realized I missed them. I missed the playful little boys they were and the wonderful young men they had become. 

Embarrassed by this sudden and overwhelming display of emotion I picked up my backpack and dug around for a tissue. I had broken my number one rule - do not leave home without tissues and wet wipes. I walked away wiping my tears on my shirtsleeve and wondered what had happened to me. I suppose you really can love the life you’re living while missing the loves in your life. All the more reason to always stop and smell the primroses!


No comments:

Post a Comment