Monday, February 14, 2011

The True Cost of Living in Hong Kong

Recently in the South China Morning Post there was an article about the cost of living in Hong Kong. It stated that Hong Kong is the most expensive city in the world to live in. The rents are the highest followed by London, although London rents are 50% less. Yes, you read that correctly 50% less. Third highest is Paris followed by New York.

We live in a lovely apartment on Bowen Road in Mid-Levels. It is just above the Central Business District. There is easy access to shopping, dining and transportation and a spectacular view of Hong Kong all the way across to Kowloon and the mountains of the New Territories.

Bowen Road turns into a private road which then becomes a paved walking path. This lovely trail runs along the side of the mountain for 1 ½ miles. It is a wonderful respite from the hustle and bustle of the city. Many people use it for exercise or just a leisurely stroll through fantastic foliage while viewing the sights of Hong Kong.

I marvel at the banyan trees, 30 feet tall bamboo, and palm trees. The red camellia, white daphne and purple hawthorn make me smile. I watch kites (birds) coasting on the winds and wish I had a bird book to correctly identify the others.

I’ve read that Hong Kong has 14 species of snakes 8 of which are venomous. Having been raised in St. Louis I’ve only had to deal with copperheads and the occasional water moccasin when camping. When I lived in New Mexico I only saw rattlesnakes and sidewinders when visiting the southern part of the state. Therefore I must admit I was quite surprised when I also read that a jogger had seen a cobra on the lovely Bowen trail. Cobras in Hong Kong? Oh yes, Chinese cobras and king cobras plus pit vipers and pythons.

So in the midst of this idyllic life there are snakes and cockroaches. While getting ready for bed the other night I spied one - a cockroach. I grabbed some toilet tissue and smoosh. He was a goner. Okay what’s one cockroach right? I continued on with my nightly ritual of brushing my teeth, washing my face and taking my vitamins.

As I was climbing into bed with my latest book I sat down and for some odd reason looked over at my pillow. There perched so very regally was another cockroach. Her antennae were twitching. You see it must be a she since she obviously thought she was queen of the bed. I ran to the bathroom for more toilet paper and somehow grabbed and squished in one fell swoop. I didn’t want to smash her on my pillow of course!

My heart was still pounding when I realized something amazing. It wasn’t my pillow. Mine was on Rusty’s side. They had gotten switched. How fortunate is my life!

Snakes on the path. Roaches on the pillow. Even in the most expensive city in the world there are still things that make you go YUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment