Sunday, February 20, 2011

Off The Island

Well I did it. After living here exactly 3 weeks I finally left the island. It's not that I hadn't wanted to, but we've been so very busy settling in and there is just so much to see right here on the island that I really had no reason to leave. But Wednesday I was meeting my group in Kowloon and obviously had a huge reason to venture off.

My group, my ladies, my new BFFs, what is this? I suppose I must start at the beginning. I was told before we ever moved to Hong Kong that I should join the American Women's Association. Now the title is misleading. This group is made up of English speaking women from all over the world. The AWA organizes volunteers and charitable events to help different organizations in Hong Kong. It also provides a support base for English speaking ex-pats.

I joined the AWA the very first week I was in Hong Kong and immediately signed up for a Foon Ying class. Foon Ying means welcome in Cantonese. So two weeks to the day that I was here I attended my first session. I met the Leader, Susan, and my group at the Foreign Correspondents Club in Central.

What an interesting group of women. We were from Japan, Canada, US and Netherlands. Some had young children and others children who were grown. Some did not have any children. Some had been here for months and two of us just two weeks. Some lived on the island, some in Kowloon and one in Discovery Bay. Some were young and well some of us I shall call more experienced. 

The one thing we all had is common is that we had all had careers, but had moved to HK for our husband's career. We were all trying to find our way in not only a new city and country, but really in a new life. We were Foon Ying ladies on a mission to succeed.

I immediately like these women. We shared stories about looking for apartments, maids, furniture and people who spoke English. We shared secrets about food, massages, haircuts and people who spoke English. We shared thoughts on water quality, dehumidifiers, markets and yes anyone who spoke English.

Therefore I was not about to miss this outing to Kowloon. I would confess by email to the Foon Ying females that I had not left the island. Of course our fearless leader Susan offered to meet me at the Admiralty MTR to take me on my first voyage under the ocean to Kowloon. 

We headed off to the Hong Kong Museum of History. This museum is not to be missed. It is 8 galleries, 7,000 sq. meters and over 3,500 exhibits of Hong Kong history. It covers all aspects of history from natural to cultural to social. This could be an entire day of learning or broken up into several trips.

After a few hours we decided lunch was in order. On the 30th floor overlooking the harbor we settled in for chat and dim sum. I let the more experienced women order a fantastic array of dishes. And of course we had much to talk about while we ate.

We had questions. Where can you buy matches in HK? You can't, but you can buy lighters at 7-11. Of course, why hadn't I thought of that? Where can you buy printer paper? At Japan Home which is sort of like a very small Wal-Mart (quality and price) and has those essentials you can't find anywhere else. Why is it called Japan Home when obviously everything is made in China? Who knows! 

And so it went. We laughed with and at ourselves. Then after lunch we took off in search of a lighter and printer paper. I actually found both and a rubber bath mat for about $3.50 US not the $40 US I had seen earlier. Those Foon Ying ladies know it all. Well at least together we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment