Monday, February 21, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside!

It’s winter in Hong Kong. Yes, they do actually have winter here. Contrary to what I was told it does get cold in HK. Prior to moving to here someone told me and I quote, “We have two seasons in Hong Kong - hot and humid and hotter and more humid.” Not true! I’ve worn a scarf many days and have the heater on as I write.

The temperature ranges from 9 - 19 degrees Celsius. That’s roughly 48 - 68 degrees Fahrenheit. First, I must admit that my conversion is incredibly rough. I think I studied the metric system for one chapter, in one book, in one grade during elementary school. I probably remembered just enough to pass the test and then moved on to other math items that I believed were equally unimportant. Math was not my strong subject.

We are lucky enough to have heat in our apartment. Many of our friends have space heaters that do little to actually warm the place much less the inhabitants. Rusty has a friend who wears a stocking cap to bed at night. I have a friend who puts two bath mats in her bathroom so she doesn’t have to touch the floor with her bare feet. Baby it’s cold inside!

I realize 50 degrees F seems rather warm to those who have experienced snow, ice and sleet. But the damp, humid air makes the temperatures feel much colder. Add to that a little mist and after walking outside for much of the day I frequently come home and take a long, hot bath.

The people who live on the Peak, in those oh so expensive homes, are living in the clouds. I watch the clouds settling over the top of the mountain through my back windows and think at least I can see out my windows. Well most of the time. Last week we had days when I opened my curtains in the morning and NOTHING! It was white. Twenty five floors up and I can’t see the apartment building next to me. This is a sub-tropical climate? Maybe I should have listened better in science class too.

So what do people wear in the winter? Well boots of course. Knee high leather boots, those lovely fashionable UGG boots, rubber rain boots, hiking boots, I’ve even seen dog with boots. I must admit that I’m grateful for every scarf I brought and wish I had packed more than one turtleneck. I did bring a hat and gloves for travel to northern China. I reluctantly pulled them out one day and wore them when I walked to the YWCA. This did elicit many smiles and I knew all too well the people were laughing at me not with me, but I didn’t care. I was warm. I just pretended they were being friendly.

It does seem strange that even on days when it is sunny and the temperature hits 68 F, and I am in short sleeves, people are wearing their boots and scarves. But you see it’s winter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment