Tuesday, April 12, 2011

From Bored To Board

First let me begin by saying I have never been bored in Hong Kong. It’s impossible. Hong offers everything from fine dining overlooking the lights of Victoria Harbour to hiking on one of the numerous islands in the South China Sea. In between there are markets to explore and temples to visit. On a down day you can take a book to the park and read while enjoying the sub-tropical sights and sounds. 

Yet before I arrived in Hong Kong I was worried that I might be bored. Giving up my career at the Chamber of Commerce, board positions with various groups, Rotary activities and of course family and friends I could not imagine there would be enough to occupy not only my life, but also my mind. How wrong I was! 

My first week in Hong Kong I joined the AWA, American Women's Association. I was intrigued and impressed by the mission statement of the AWA. “A volunteer organization of international women supporting Hong Kong charities and schools through community service and monetary grants, while providing educational and social activities for members.” This is a group that has a heart and a mind I thought. 

Two weeks to the day of my arrival I began my Foon Ying group which is a three session program for new members. And that is where my life in Hong Kong really started. I met women like myself who had given up so much to follow their husbands here. We are called trailing spouses although the name disgusts me. I am certainly not following anyone. I am walking hand in hand, side by side with Rusty as we experience this new journey in our lives. 

And while I am sauntering through this all the AWA has been there to help guide me. I have taken a Cantonese class, visited a porcelain factory and toured Cheung Chau island. The AWA friends I have made and the knowledge they have shared has made the transition into ex-pat life very manageable. I have learned where to buy a rubber bath mat, get my clothes altered and find allergy medicine. One of my friends even brought me special vitamins from the US that I can’t find here. 

Four weeks in I attended the annual Charity Fashion Show and Auction. The AWA contributes thousands of dollars to local charities each year. The charities are vetted by one of our committees and tend to help the elderly, women and children. Last year we donated $800,000HK to help those in need. The models at the fashion show were our very own members. It was a great evening of glam, glitz and giggles galore. AWA ladies know how to have fun with a purpose.

So it is no wonder that I was thrilled, yet surprised when six weeks after arriving I was asked to be interviewed for the AWA board. It seems my friends had nominated me for several positions. I approached the interview with some degree of trepidation. I barely have my feet wet what could I possibly offer? They weren’t looking for knowledge of Hong Kong I found out, but knowledge of non-profits and organizations. That I have.

Today, ten weeks into my ex-pat life, I was elected as the Vice President of Membership for the American Women’s Association Board of Directors. We currently have 900 members. My goal of course is 1,000 within the next year. The position is eerily similar to my chamber job. Except now I can inform and recruit, yet not get paid for it. On the other hand this job won’t keep me up at night and I’ll still have time to continue traveling the road of exploration in Hong Kong. Me bored? You’ve got to be kidding.






No comments:

Post a Comment